The Best Way to Build a Mobile Site.

Discussion in 'Offline Marketing' started by carguy, Feb 8, 2013.

1. carguy

carguy New Member

I have been working with WordPress for awhile now and have built quite a few websites now. I know a little HTML but not much. I need your help and advise with is mobile site building. Please tell me what you guys think is the best software or plug-in to use for mobile website building and why. I have looked at several but each seems to have their problems and some are just a booger to understand or figure out. I am sure I am not the only one haveing this problem at least I hope not. I know I'm pretty much still a noob so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    carguy

new226 likes this.
  2. jay2

jay2 Member

Shirker
    Hi. I clicked on your thread hoping to find some really cool answers/secrets and sadly - none so far.
    So, instead you will get my limited experience.

1. you could add a plugin if it is a WordPress site. I have done that many times in the past, and most of them have not impressed me. they tend to display badly etc. BUT they do work.
    2. you could install a WordPress website that is built to do the mobile side automatically. Like elegant themes. I use them a lot, and 90% of the time it is because of the mobile advantage. so far he has not converted all his sites, but I guess that sooner or later he will. My favorite option.
    3. then in all the courses I have downloaded there have been a number of other ways shown - and truth - that is the answers I was hoping to find here.
    I have had a stand alone WP site, that you upload just like a normal site to a sub-domain like m.yourdomain.com . problem with this method is that the website then needs to be built from scratch just like a normal site. IE you need a logo, header, content images etc. takes time, and then the client (or yourself) still needs a real website. ACK!
    way too much work for me.
    I vaguely remember other software and sites where you can get nice looking sites, but one s that are easy to find, easy to install, and easy to build and maintain remains my issue.

I suspect that sooner or later all WordPress website will come with mobile built in.
    Right now I am looking at Artiseer to see if I can drop a WordPress site into there, modify it, and get it back out, and it will work.
    maybe someone with more knowledge on Artiseer will be able to tell me if that is possible.

well I hope this helps a little.

so, now that you are a carguy could you please tell me why it smells like my gearbox is burning? LOL
    (OK, I know the answer - the bloody thing is a 1982 ford Hahaha)

cheers

new226 likes this.
  3. carguy

carguy New Member

Sorry I haven't gotten many answers yet, but thanks for your impute. I have been looking at EZ Mobile Site Creator and Mobi-O-Matic (both are available here on the forum). They both seem to work OK but I run into problems getting the results I see in my head. Also they both work best on the sub domain as a sidecar to the main site and like you I am hoping to find a way to have everything on one site. Anyway I hope others chime in with helpful information.

new226 likes this.
  4. larryt501

larryt501 Member

Many WP sites use the "responsive" theme which simply "dumbs down" the original website to fit on a smaller screen. NOT a good alternative IMHO. They are virtually impossible to read and still take a long time to load. It has been shown that if a mobile site takes more than 5 seconds to load, most people go to a competitor's site.

You don't have to rebuild the whole site, BTW. You just need to bjuild one with the basics such as company name, what they do, their phone number and their location. You may want to put in a link to a menu for a restaurant.

There are TONS of mobile site builders both on here and in the "real world"... each with their own pros and cons. Each has their defenders and detractors. Find a few and try them out. See how fast they load on your mobile phone
    and/or tablet.

5. mobimadman

mobimadman Banned

Jumpmobi is THE best. Screw this responsive junk, Jumpmobile is build on wordpress and is adaptive, being that whatever device you come from it generates the right code to display the fastest and most appealing site getting you better conversions and higher rankings. Powerful features make this head and shoulders above anyone else. You can put in a url and it will build a color pallete for the site. CSS overides, Hot spot squeeze/landing pages (take any graphc image and slice it into clickable links), ez sliders and galleries. Super flexible, fast and 50% off this week...jm.com

6. Lauryn

Lauryn Well-Known Member

7. Designer

Designer Member

Web Developer & Graphic Designer
    Home Page:
    The best is to use no plugins. Read up on responsive design, and use the devices browser width to tell your site what css to load - what layout. Make a layout for regular pc users, one for tablet users, and one for phone users.

neildames likes this.
  8. turbo354

turbo354 Active Member

You can do this with Bootstrap: The most popular front-end framework for developing responsive, mobile first projects on the web.

http://getbootstrap.com/

All you have too do is include the code and it will do the rest.

9. priya456

priya456 Member

The best way to build a mobile friendly website is to use a responsive theme. Compared to normal themes or templates, which look the same whether the person is using a computer or phone, a responsive theme is going to tailor the experience to the devise and browser the person is using.

For example, if you are using a phone to look at a responsive site, there may be features that show only on a phone, such as click to call or click to text. In addition, the menu is reduced to a single dropdown, which is much more accessible than having to zoom in and zoom out to view an extended, full width menu.

More importantly, there is actually no zooming at all. Everything adjusts automatically to the width.

10. neilagra

neilagra New Member

If you want to create a great and responsive mobile site, then I would like to suggest you the free resource w3layouts, themevault, templatemonster, themeforest, html5up from where you can find the free html5 templates that are easy to customize & mobile friendly. So, you can make changes as per your need and requirement.